turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jaullri

Deployed during tax season with my Walmart w2 back home in Wyoming unavailable. Then after I got home during the 15-18th my military w2 has been unavailable.

I've been told that since I was deployed I qualify for a tax extension.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AndyM

Deployed during tax season with my Walmart w2 back home in Wyoming unavailable. Then after I got home during the 15-18th my military w2 has been unavailable.

That all depends on your situation and the nature of your deployment:

Although exemptions for combat zone soldiers and active military overseas are granted automatically, they still require you to submit IRS forms to request an exemption.

If you are filing for the two-month extension for active overseas personnel, you must file a statement with your return proving that you were on active overseas duty during the entire tax filing deadline date. If you are claiming the 180-day filing and paying extension for combat zone personnel, you can either contact the IRS to let it know of your status at combatzone@irs.gov, call the IRS or respond to a notice of action from them. If you are filing a general 180-day filing extension for being out of the country, file Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Tax Return, before the original due date of your return.

More info can be found here: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/General-Tax-Tips/At-Ease-Soldier--Extensions-for-Mili...

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AndyM

That all depends on your situation and the nature of your deployment:

Although exemptions for combat zone soldiers and active military overseas are granted automatically, they still require you to submit IRS forms to request an exemption.

If you are filing for the two-month extension for active overseas personnel, you must file a statement with your return proving that you were on active overseas duty during the entire tax filing deadline date. If you are claiming the 180-day filing and paying extension for combat zone personnel, you can either contact the IRS to let it know of your status at combatzone@irs.gov, call the IRS or respond to a notice of action from them. If you are filing a general 180-day filing extension for being out of the country, file Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Tax Return, before the original due date of your return.

More info can be found here: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/General-Tax-Tips/At-Ease-Soldier--Extensions-for-Mili...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies