Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Using "Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative" forms for deployed family member

My son is a U.S. Marine deployed overseas.  I need to be able to prep, sign and file his taxes for him as well as any additional documents.  I'm aware of IRS form 2848 (Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative) that will allow my son to assign me and my wife as his representatives.  Maryland has form 548 which is basically the same thing. Both forms have instructions that refer to having a Power of Attourney.  My son has one that he is sending to us now.

What I need to know is...

1. What do I do with the forms once my son has signed them?

2. What do I need to do with my son's Power of Attourney?

3. Is there anything else that I need to do or should be concerned about?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Using "Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative" forms for deployed family member

Keep the Powers of Attorney for your records if ever needed.  Prepare and electronically file the tax return as if you are your son.  Use the address where he wants any tax correspondence to go to.  Use his banking information for any refunds assuming direct deposit is preferred. 

Be sure to enter his military service information and home of record (resident state) to automatically trigger any discounts (TurboTax military free file for enlisted active duty), and special tax rules that may apply.  Specifically, after entering his military form W2 information you will arrive at a page asking about "Uncommon Situations" where you need to select "Active Military Pay" from the list.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi DMarkM1...

Thank you for your reply.  I'm using a retail copy of TT Deluxe.  I didn't remember seeing an option for any kind of military pay, so I went back and walked through income again.  Still don't see it.  I tried searching within TurboTax for "Active military pay" and no hits.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Understand.  Edit the military W2 in "Wages & Income".  After verifying the actual form entries continue and you will arrive at a page asking about "Uncommon Situations".  In that list you will find the "Active Military Pay" item.  Check the corresponding box and continue.  

That will trigger the proper military interview questions as well as the TurboTax Free Military file discount at the end before filing.  

Ok.  I found it.  The "edit" part is what I missed before.

Now, does it matter that my son was in training for the entirety of 2023?  He was in recruit training from January to April, combat training and then MOS school.  He just got stationed this January.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

No. That doesn't matter.  It's all active duty pay on the form W2.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies