turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NavyMama2002
Returning Member

My Son's 1st Tax Return

My son graduated high school in May 2020 and joined the Navy in August 2020.  He is 18 and he lived with me full-time through July 2020.  He and has the following financial situation:  W-2 Income of $13473 (Navy plus PT job), a UTMA account in his name with Dividend and Capital Gain distributions, and he has contributed to both Traditional and Roth IRA's in his separate account (non-UTMA).  Does he file his own return and does he report the UTMA distributions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

My Son's 1st Tax Return

Yes, he should file his own return and report the UTMA distributions.

As an 18-year old active-duty military member for the period of time you described, it is unlikely he would qualify as your dependent (support test). For tax purposes, the UTMA account is treated as belonging to the child and your custodianship ended when he turned 18. 

It is possible you provided more than 1/2 of his support for the entire year, but his earnings before he joined the military and his 4-months of active military service would argue otherwise. His UTMA have always been taxable to him.

My Son's 1st Tax Return

Yes. He files his own return and reports all income including his UTMA and his IRA contributions. He can contribute a maximum of $6,000 between his  IRA’s. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies