turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rubejazz

My W-2 is from the United States Public Health Service (military pay) as I am Active Duty. Why doesn't Turbo Tax recognize my W-2 as military pay?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

My W-2 is from the United States Public Health Service (military pay) as I am Active Duty. Why doesn't Turbo Tax recognize my W-2 as military pay?

The question in TurboTax for the discount on the product asks about being a member of the US Armed Forces.  The US Public Health Service is not one of the "Armed Forces." If you do not indicate that you were associated with the "Armed Forces" then you may not see an option to identify your W2 as "Active Duty Military" pay.  

However, the Public Health Service is part of the "Uniformed Services" under the "Servicemembers Civil Relief Act.  In the "My Info" section you would indicate your home of record as your resident state and that is the state that may or may not tax the pay.   

Click here to see the various state rules for "Servicemember" income as a resident of the state but stationed in another state.  Typically, the state interviews will have an option to exclude the active duty pay if it is not taxable in your resident state.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies