turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

toddj_25

My spouse and I are both military and lived in ND for part of the year I need help filing my state return

Spouse was active duty in ND, I was not stationed in ND. I did work in ND as a civilian. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

My spouse and I are both military and lived in ND for part of the year I need help filing my state return

Basically, you'll be filing a non-resident state return for ND. But have you seen https://www.nd.gov/tax/data/upfiles/media/militaryspouseresidencyrelief.pdf?20190321205058 yet? It's possible, if you meet the requirements, that you would not be paying "any" state taxes to ND.

toddj_25

Looking into that now. Thanks. I'm Washington ANG, lived in ND. Worked as civilian, spouse was active duty stationed in ND. She's FL resident and I'm WA. Lots of variables.
Carl
Level 15

Lots of variables is right. For some states, to qualify for MSRRA both must claim the same resident state. For other states, the requirements are different. Overall if you qualify, you may not have to pay ND taxes at all provided your SLR state taxes your income. If that's the case, then the referenced document should tell you how to get your withheld taxes refunded to you, as well as what form to file with your ND employer so they will stop withholding ND state taxes from your ND earned income. It just depends on your specific situation and the qualification requirements of the state you worked in.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies