Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My son is not a dependent, age 21 and lives on his own and is not in school. I pay his health ins and emt training. Can I deduct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

My son is not a dependent, age 21 and lives on his own and is not in school. I pay his health ins and emt training. Can I deduct?

Simple answer: No, because he's not your dependent.

There is something known as a Medical dependent :

If your close relative cannot be your dependent because he had more than $4,050 of gross income, but otherwise would have qualified as your dependent (basically that you & other family members provided more than half his support), then you can include in your deductible medical expenses any qualifying medical expenses you paid on his behalf just as if he was your dependent.

EMT training would not qualify

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Simple answer: No, because he's not your dependent.

There is something known as a Medical dependent :

If your close relative cannot be your dependent because he had more than $4,050 of gross income, but otherwise would have qualified as your dependent (basically that you & other family members provided more than half his support), then you can include in your deductible medical expenses any qualifying medical expenses you paid on his behalf just as if he was your dependent.

EMT training would not qualify

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies