Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband is Active Duty military. His state of residence is West Virginia. He does not owe state taxes, but it's showing we owe $1824. Is there something I'm missing?

Does my husband even have to file a WV tax return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AnnS7

My husband is Active Duty military. His state of residence is West Virginia. He does not owe state taxes, but it's showing we owe $1824. Is there something I'm missing?

If West Virginia is your Home of Record, your active duty military pay while serving outside of WV is exempt from state taxes.

To claim the West Virginia exemption, you will file as a non-resident.  As you begin your WV return, look for the page titled "We've Recommended a Residency Status".  Indicate that you want to change your residency.  On the following page select "Special Nonresident (Form IT-140NRS)".  This will exempt your WV military income from state tax.

On the Tell Us Your State of Residence screen choose Out of State in the drop down box the right of State of Residence.

See screen shot below.

Note:  Ensure your W-2 is coded as active duty military.  Once you click Continue after entering your W-2 in to TurboTax you will see the Do any of these uncommon situations apply to this W-2?.  Click box next to Active duty military.  See Screen Shot below.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies