turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Military Status Question

[duplicate] So for the 'My Info' category where you have to select your military status as of December 31st, 2018 I select that I was a veteran because I left the military in February 2018. However with this option selected, when I go to put in the wages I earned during the last couple months of my military service for my Illinois state return (my state of residence while still in the military, now moved to Ohio), it keeps telling me that "line 21 - Military Pay should be blank". Am I supposed to select 'Active Duty' for my military status, and then put that I left in 2018, even though it asks status as of December 31st?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

Military Status Question

From what I see, IL does not tax active duty military pay. But since you are a part-year resident of IL for 2018 I'm not exactly clear. As I understand it, your military pay is included in your state AGI,probably for the purpose of determining your tax bracket on any taxable non-miliary pay. But the military pay is not taxed. Take a look at http://www.revenue.state.il.us/Publications/Pubs/Pub-102.pdf and see if you understand it the same as I do.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies