Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Military state of residence with a different home of record.

I'm currently stationed in Maryland. In 2012 I PCS'd to my first duty station in Texas. Some time after, I submitted a DD 2058 to my S1 to change my state of legal residence to Texas.

Fast forward to now, I'm being asked when did I lived in 2019. At the time I was stationed in the state of NY.  I left Texas in 2015 but still I consider it to be the place I would like to retire. 

Also, when I choose Texas it asked me for specific residency change date. Right now I can't find the DD 2058 form in my records nor I can't remember the specific date.   

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

If your SLR (State of Legal Residence) was officially changed to TX prior to 2019 , via DD2058, then enter Texas as your State of Residence in the personal info section of TurboTax.  If your only income in 2019 was your military pay, answer No to questions about having other state income and No to the question about living in another state.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

If your SLR (State of Legal Residence) was officially changed to TX prior to 2019 , via DD2058, then enter Texas as your State of Residence in the personal info section of TurboTax.  If your only income in 2019 was your military pay, answer No to questions about having other state income and No to the question about living in another state.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies