turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vc30

Military questions on PCS if i was in boot camp as well as technical training?

if i was at boot camp dose that count as living in another state as wel as technical training?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

No, boot camp is not considered as living in another state.

For tax purposes, boot camp, basic training, or whenever you are on orders an are getting full pay, you are considered Active Duty.

You state of residence will be your SLR (home of record) state. Even if you are stationed in another state, you’re still considered a resident of your SLR state.

In TurboTax, when going through Personal Info section, be sure to select that you a member of U.S. Armed Forces and select you SLR (home of record) state in the Tell us the state(s) you live in section. No additional entries are required for you, unless you had a civilian job in the state you had boot camp.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

No, boot camp is not considered as living in another state.

For tax purposes, boot camp, basic training, or whenever you are on orders an are getting full pay, you are considered Active Duty.

You state of residence will be your SLR (home of record) state. Even if you are stationed in another state, you’re still considered a resident of your SLR state.

In TurboTax, when going through Personal Info section, be sure to select that you a member of U.S. Armed Forces and select you SLR (home of record) state in the Tell us the state(s) you live in section. No additional entries are required for you, unless you had a civilian job in the state you had boot camp.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies