Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bmulc99

I am active duty military and a NY resident. NY doesn't tax military income, so my state return should be the state tax amount withheld, $2267.72. I should get back that.

I have always received a full state refund of the state taxes withheld, the last 3 years I have filed.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AnnS7

I am active duty military and a NY resident. NY doesn't tax military income, so my state return should be the state tax amount withheld, $2267.72. I should get back that.

If you qualify for the New York exemption, you will need to file a NY non-resident return to get a refund of any tax withheld. To qualify for the exemption, you must meet the following requirements:

1. You did not maintain any permanent place of abode in New York State during the tax year;

2. You maintained a permanent place of abode outside New York State during the entire tax year; and

3. You spent 30 days or less (any part of a day is a day for this purpose) in New York State during the tax year.

As you work through your New York state return:

• On the " We've Recommended a Residency Status" screen click Change Residency and choose Non-Resident.
  • When you get to the " New York Income Allocation" screen, make sure to click No, then on the next screen " Your Form W-2 Summary" click Done
  • Continue through to the screen titled " Changes to Federal Income".   Click Start next to Received military pay. (see screen shot)
  • On the "Military Pay" screen enter your federal and nonresident NY military wages (W-2 Box 1) (see screen shot)

This should exempt your military pay.

NOTE:  If your spouse is not a New York resident, the state requires you to file as Married Filing Separately, even if you filed a joint federal return.  The instructions above will not exempt your NY income if you file the state jointly when you should be filing separately.

The instructions to file a separate state return after filing jointly on your federal return can be found here:

Filing Separate State Returns After Filing Jointly for Federal

What if you have non-military income like dividends and capital gains from investments?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

So New York is your home of record, right?

If so, income from sources other than military wages is subject to New York state tax, like 

• self-employment, 

• certain pension/annuity income, 

• prize winnings, 

• capital gains, 

• interest income, 

• dividend income

So you will need to file a New York resident return (actually, I assume you already do, to get the exclusion on the Wages).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies