Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am active duty military new york non-resident, how do I file so it doesn't say I owe 1437$ in state tax?

I filed a new york state non-residency a while ago and has not paid new york tax due to having permanent housing outside of new york and do not currently hold a place of residency in New York.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

I am active duty military new york non-resident, how do I file so it doesn't say I owe 1437$ in state tax?

If your income was military pay and you are stationed outside of NY and do not maintain housing in NY you are considered a non-resident and your income would not have been reportable to NY.  You would exclude your military income from the non-resident NY return.  This would result in a refund of any NY taxes withheld.  

If you filed a return that resulted in an amount due to NY, you will need to amend your return to exclude the military income.  Amendment forms are projected to be available in TurboTax mid to late March.  

You will simply select the "Amend" option at sign in and follow the prompts to make the changes.  You will need to print, sign and mail amendments in.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies