turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

arieza23

How do i handle severance pay reported on my w2. my income went sky high because of severance pay which is taxed. a lot from my severance pay went to my taxes. help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
NicoleR

How do i handle severance pay reported on my w2. my income went sky high because of severance pay which is taxed. a lot from my severance pay went to my taxes. help!

Is this military severance pay from a medical retirement?  If so, do you have your VA rating yet?
arieza23

thank youit is not a severance pay from a medical retirement. my former employer died and i got a severance pay.
Josh_R
Intuit Alumni

If you received severance pay, including payment for unused vacation or sick days, those amounts are fully taxable as income. Those amounts will be included on the W-2 form you receive from your former employer. They are not tax deductible.

arieza23

Do i need to report what is my regular earnings from what i have received as a severance pay?
Josh_R
Intuit Alumni

All of your income from that employer should be on your W2 and you report that W2 as a single W2 for the year.  You can find more info on job separation in this IRS publication:  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4128.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4128.pdf</a>
Manage cookies