beckstheword

Active Duty military files wrong state taxes

I am active duty military currently stationed in CA but with my home of residence as CT. I messed up somewhere and accidentally filed my state taxes as CA and now owe the state; I was told that this is wrong and need to file for my state of residence and not my current duty station. Am I able to cancel or change this while it’s still pending or do I need to wait until it’s accepted?

DMarkM1

Wait for the returns to be accepted and then work the amendment to file non-resident CA.  

TomD8

As long as you are on active duty, you file your state taxes in your HOR/SLR - regardless of where you are stationed.

Your SLR remains the same as when you entered service unless you formally change it with your military payroll office.

You would only file in a non-resident state if you had non-military income from that state.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.