Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Due to a military move i had to rent my house. I just sold the rental. Am I exempt from Capital Gains?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Due to a military move i had to rent my house. I just sold the rental. Am I exempt from Capital Gains?

You may be able to exclude all or part of the gain on your home, if it was your principal residence, and if you meet the ownership and use tests.

For most taxpayers, they must have owned the home for at least 2 of the 5 years prior to selling it, and have lived in the property as their main home for at least 2 years.

If you served on qualified official extended duty as a member of the Armed Forces, you can choose to suspend that 5 year period for up to 10 years, which may enable you to meet the 2 year use test.

You can only suspend the 5 year period for one home at a time, and you can only exclude the gain on the sale of a main home once every 2 years.

For a rental property that used to be your personal residence, you still would be subject to income tax to the extent that you claimed or could have claimed depreciation on the property for the years that it was a rental. This is known as “depreciation recapture,” and is handled in the Rental section of Turbo Tax.

Please see the following links for more information and examples:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p3/ar02.html#en_US_2014_publink1000176229

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p523.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/uac/Highlights:--Military-Family-Tax-Relief-Act

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

You may be able to exclude all or part of the gain on your home, if it was your principal residence, and if you meet the ownership and use tests.

For most taxpayers, they must have owned the home for at least 2 of the 5 years prior to selling it, and have lived in the property as their main home for at least 2 years.

If you served on qualified official extended duty as a member of the Armed Forces, you can choose to suspend that 5 year period for up to 10 years, which may enable you to meet the 2 year use test.

You can only suspend the 5 year period for one home at a time, and you can only exclude the gain on the sale of a main home once every 2 years.

For a rental property that used to be your personal residence, you still would be subject to income tax to the extent that you claimed or could have claimed depreciation on the property for the years that it was a rental. This is known as “depreciation recapture,” and is handled in the Rental section of Turbo Tax.

Please see the following links for more information and examples:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p3/ar02.html#en_US_2014_publink1000176229

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p523.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/uac/Highlights:--Military-Family-Tax-Relief-Act

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So would this active duty person just report the sale of the home/rental in 'sale of home', and not in sale of rental property or sale of business property, if they meet the cap gains exclusion criteria?

gojoe99

This is exactly the situation I'm in, however there are no instructions on how to use the Tax Software in order to account for this military exemption. 

Does anyone have an answer for this? 

Hal_Al
Level 15

You can enter the sale as a home sale, instead of in the rental section.

In TurboTax (TT), enter at:
- Federal Taxes tab (Personal in  Home & Business)

- Wages & Income

Scroll down to:

-Less Common Income

- Sale of Home

When asked if you meet the 24 month rule, answer yes, since you know you meet the military exception.   Lying to TurboTax to get it to do what you want does not constitute lying to the IRS. This is explained at the Learn More link on that page.  Later, the interview will ask if you claimed any depreciation. Enter the total amount you claimed while it was rented out.  TurboTax will treat that part (depreciation recapture) as taxable. 

Using an example: you bought a house for $100,000, later sold it for $150,000 and took $15,000 depreciation. $50,000 of the $65,000 capital gain will be tax free due to the home sale exclusion.  $15,000 will be taxable, as a section 1250 gain (taxed at ordinary income rates, but not more than 25%).

@Hal_Al wrote:

Enter the sale as a home sale, not in the rental section.

I disagree.  It was a rental when it was sold, it should be reported in the rental section.  When you sell the property in the rental section, it DOES ask you the questions about the Principal Residence exclusion.

islavet
Returning Member

Is there any conclusion on which is appropriate? When I enter the info under personal home sale, our capital gains are excluded. When I enter it under the rental section, even if I properly state our military status, there is a large tax bill and much of the capital gains are taxable. I don't know what to do!

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  Is there any conclusion on which is appropriate?

A.  Yes and no.  Either way is "correct" if it gets the right results. I recommend the home sale entry because it's simpler (as you have found out).  But  I have noticed that most experts, in this forum recommend the rental section

You say "When I enter the info under personal home sale, our capital gains are excluded".  That part is  correct.  If it also treated the depreciation recapture as taxable, you should be good.  The fact that TurboTax lets you do it there is your assurance that it's appropriate. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies