Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mldezelan

Rental Assets vs. Expenses

I have had a rental property for 5 years and have been depreciating the assets (appliances).  However there is a change this year that new assets can be treated as expenses, which is great.  However, do I still get to take the remaining depreciation from the old assets?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I think that is a very practical example of how to interpret this new rule.  Thank You!  I have a similar question.  In previous years, if you purchased a $900 window A/C unit, you would claim that as an expense, right? So, given the limit of $2500 with the new rule, how does this benefit, since I would still end up claiming it as an expense anyway? I'm not familiar if there is a cost factor when deciding if something as an asset to be depreciated, so perhaps I'm wrong in thinking it would be included as an expense to begin with.?
Carl
Level 15

YOu don't change any of your existing assets. LIke you said, the change is for "new" assets. So from this point forward,  if you purchased any new assets in 2015 that are under $2500 ($500 if in CA) then you have the option to either depreciate, or expense them.

What I've decided for my rentals, is that if the asset does "in fact" become "a material part of" the property (such as a new central A/C blower unit which cost just under $2500) then I'll deprecate it. But if it's not "a material part of" the rental, (new range for example) then I'll expense it.

Items over $200 (and have a useful life of over 1 year) are assets that are depreciated.  So the $900 window A/C unit would be depreciated.

If you qualify to make the De Minimis Election (and actually MAKE the election), that $200 amount is increased to your set amount (up to $2500).  So items under that amount can be deducted in one year.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies