turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I purchase a producing royalty income for $1500 that earns $150 per year I get a depletion expense based on the $150 income but can I write off the cost of the $1500?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I purchase a producing royalty income for $1500 that earns $150 per year I get a depletion expense based on the $150 income but can I write off the cost of the $1500?

You cannot take a percentage depletion and cost depletion (of the $1,500) on the same property.  Most small investors use the percentage depletion. 

There are two ways of calculating depletion allowance: cost depletion and percentage depletion. Oil and gas royalty owners have the availability of using either, yet for mineral properties, you must generally use the method that gives you the larger deduction.

Under percentage depletion, the deduction for the recovery of one's capital investment is a fixed percentage of the gross income (sales revenue) from the sale of the oil or gas. For oil and gas royalty owners, percentage depletion is calculated using a rate of 15% of the gross income based on your average daily production ...

Cost Depletion

With cost depletion, a taxpayer recovers the actual capital investment throughout the period of income production. Each year, the taxpayer deducts a portion of the original capital investment, less previous deductions, that is equal to the fraction of the estimated remaining recoverable reserves that have been produced and sold that year. The cumulative amount recovered under this method can never exceed the taxpayer’s original capital investment.

Source:  http://www.mineralweb.com/owners-guide/leased-and-producing/royalty-taxes/depletion-allowance/

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You cannot take a percentage depletion and cost depletion (of the $1,500) on the same property.  Most small investors use the percentage depletion. 

There are two ways of calculating depletion allowance: cost depletion and percentage depletion. Oil and gas royalty owners have the availability of using either, yet for mineral properties, you must generally use the method that gives you the larger deduction.

Under percentage depletion, the deduction for the recovery of one's capital investment is a fixed percentage of the gross income (sales revenue) from the sale of the oil or gas. For oil and gas royalty owners, percentage depletion is calculated using a rate of 15% of the gross income based on your average daily production ...

Cost Depletion

With cost depletion, a taxpayer recovers the actual capital investment throughout the period of income production. Each year, the taxpayer deducts a portion of the original capital investment, less previous deductions, that is equal to the fraction of the estimated remaining recoverable reserves that have been produced and sold that year. The cumulative amount recovered under this method can never exceed the taxpayer’s original capital investment.

Source:  http://www.mineralweb.com/owners-guide/leased-and-producing/royalty-taxes/depletion-allowance/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies