turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

go2dance

Why is my rental property depreciation deduction showing up as zero? Shouldn't it be the same as last year?

Last year my depreciation deduction was $5,900. It is the same this year but it's showing up as zero at the final summery section. How come?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Why is my rental property depreciation deduction showing up as zero? Shouldn't it be the same as last year?

Ignore the summary screens, as they can be quirky.  Look at Line 18 of Schedule E to look at any depreciation that was claimed.
FaithY
Expert Alumni

Your depreciation deduction will show up as zero this year if your asset has already been fully depreciated. I suggest reviewing your depreciation schedule to see if your asset was fully depreciated when you filed last years return. 

I just purchased a new rental house in October of 2021 and keyed in the purchase price and improvements. I also noted that the property was available for rent approximately 80 days in 2021. However, I'm not seeing any depreciation for this property being populated in schedule ez?

Was this a converted personal residence by any chance ?   Or did you enter in any personal use days ? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies