kunia-aihara

Which state do i pay long term capital gain tax? State I currently live in? Or, state i lived when i acquired the asset (stock)?

I currently live in California, and have an asset (stock acquired while living in CA few years ago) that I'd like to liquidate.  I'm also considering moving to Texas for a new job.  If I wait until I move to Texas and become a resident there, then decide to liquidate my asset, do I owe CA any long term capital gain tax since I held onto the asset for several years and the value of the asset increased while living there?  Or, since I'll be a resident of Texas, do I not owe any state tax on the capital gain?

maglib

The resident state.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post