turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I list the percentage of my home that was rented? Does the 2020 app calculate percentage of mortgage and RE tax for between Sched E and Personal deductions?

It used to ask for the entire amounts and calculate them for you, but I don't see that option. Did I miss something? Do I have to do my own math this year?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

Where do I list the percentage of my home that was rented? Does the 2020 app calculate percentage of mortgage and RE tax for between Sched E and Personal deductions?

Generally, if you have to ask, it's because you missed a selection while working through the SCH E section.  Either that, or you're just not done and haven't got to yet another section yet.

In the Property Profile section there are three selections that you must make.

- 2020 is the first year I rented this property (it's okay if you don't have this option to select)

- I rent out a part of my home.

- I converted this property from personal use to a rental in 2020.

Then on a later screen in the property profile section you'll select the option for "Yes, I will enter total amounts and let TurboTax do the math (recommended)".  Then you'll be asked for the percentage.

Now for this particular scenario you'll have another issue in the "assets/depreciation" section. But so that I don't risk causing "information overload" lets deal with that separately when you get to it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies