turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

H64

Where do I enter Rental information in TurboTax? I am unable to even find the Schedule E form to fill it out? TurboTax used to be straightforward. It is no more.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
RayW7
Expert Alumni

Where do I enter Rental information in TurboTax? I am unable to even find the Schedule E form to fill it out? TurboTax used to be straightforward. It is no more.

The easiest way to find Schedule E in TurboTax is to use the Search box at the top right side of the TurboTax header. Enter "schedule e", hit Enter, then click "jump to schedule e". This will take you directly to the start of this section.

All desktop editions (CD/download) can prepare a Schedule E (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, and Home and Business). In Online TurboTax, only Premier and the Self-Employed Edition can prepare Schedule E, as well as their Live counterparts; i.e., Live Premier and Live Self-Employed

-follow this link for additional information-

What Is a Schedule E IRS Form? - TurboTax Tax Tips & Videos

Carl
Level 15

I use the CD version of the program and it's basic layout and functionality hasn't changed over the 18 years I've been using it. Can't speak for the online version, as I have an issue with allowing a private company (not just TTX either) to store my personal information on server's I have no access to or control over.  So I've never used it.

If using TT Online, you must upgrade to Premier.

jmbrush47

There is NO search bar while using the TT app on my iphone

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

To populate schedule E for rental income and expenses, you need to first go to the Federal section of TurboTax. Then choose Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E). Work through that section to enter your rental income end expenses. 

@jmbrush 47

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

To populate schedule E for rental income and expenses, you need to first go to the Federal section of TurboTax. Then choose Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E). Work through that section to enter your rental income end expenses. 

@jmbrush 47

jmbrush47

Thanks for replying! More info: I was in the federal section. There is no way to “choose”  Rental Properties…

I’m using the TT app on my iPhone. There is no search function, no way to find any form and, no way to “go Back”.  I can’t even Log Out when I need to stop. The app is almost a ghost of the TurboTax program that can be accessed on a computer.  Try using it on your iPhone. 
J

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Instead of using your app, you might try using the web version of Turbo Tax on your phone. Go to www.turbotax.com in your phone browser and then see if the functionality works better on the web instead of the app.  

Also you need a Turbo Tax premier version of higher to report rental properties.

@jmbrush47

Using Premier; PC download.  Schedule E is not part of the normal workflow.  One must know that is is missing and go search for it.  Not user friendly.  Wasted an hour of my time.

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

Follow these steps to enter information into TurboTax regarding your rental property.

1. After signing-in to your account, select the Federal Taxes tab.
  2. Select the Wages & Income tab.
  3. Scroll down the screen to Rental Properties and Royalties, and click the Start or Update button and begin to enter your rental information.

If you tried the above steps and were still not able to enter information regarding your rental property, please respond back to this post and provide as much detail as you can regarding the issue(s) you are seeing.  In any follow-up post, please do not include personally identifiable information. 

@way too picky

Home and Business also has a Schedule E. 

If you are using the Desktop CD/Download program then ALL versions have rentals and all the forms.  You just get more help in the higher versions.  So you can even use Deluxe.  You should find it pretty easy.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies