Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I enter last year's QBI loss carryover (Line 3, Form 8995) into 2020 Turbo Tax online?

Schedule C business loss
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

28 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Where do I enter last year's QBI loss carryover (Line 3, Form 8995) into 2020 Turbo Tax online?

Click this link for detailed info on How to Enter QBI Loss Carryover

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This info is not correct for this year.  I have the same problem.  TT neglected to include the loss carryforward option in that section.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

@muco39

In TurboTax Online Self-Employed, follow these steps. 

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Income & expenses.
  • Scroll down to Other Business Situations.
  • Click Start / Revisit to the right of Net Operating Loss / QBI Carryforward Loss.
  • Enter QBI Carryovers at the screen 2019 Qualified Business Income Loss Carryovers.

In TurboTax Home & Business, follow these steps:

• Across the top of the screen, click on Business.
  • Click Continue.
  • Click on I'll choose what I want to work on.
  • Scroll down to Less Common Business Situations.
  • Click Start / Update to the right of Net Operating Loss / QBI Carryforward Loss.

199-A negative overall QBI amount carries forward to the succeeding year and is treated as arising from a separate trade or business. Those losses carry over indefinitely until completely offset by positive QBI.

Thank you James.

When I enter the QBI amount from 2019 it shows up in additional income form schedule 1.  Is that where it is supposed to go?  If I wanted to carry it forward how do I enter it so it shows up in form 8995.  Is it up to me to show it as negative income or carryforward to next year?

Thanks again

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Here is how to enter.

1. Log into Turbo Tax
  2. Go to federal>wages and income>Other Business Situations>show more
  3. Net Operating Loss/ QBI Carryforward Loss.>start
  4. Move past the first screen and report in the second screen under. 
  5. 2019 Qualified Business Income Loss Carryovers

Hello. I have the same problem. I tried entering the Qualified business loss carryforward from 2019 but it doesnt show on line 3 Form 8995

Hi, were you able to get an answer to this question? I have the same problem, I tried all the options here but I don't see the amount on line 3 form 8995. I appreciate if you can share if you were able to solve this

Thank you

@JamesG1 is this still true in 2022 when filing 2021 taxes? I'm struggling to find where to put my QBI carryforward. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

YES

In TurboTax Online Self-Employed, follow these steps. 

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Income & expenses.
  • Scroll down to Other Business Situations.
  • Click Start / Revisit to the right of Net Operating Loss / QBI Carryforward Loss.
  • Enter QBI Carryovers at the screen 2019 Qualified Business Income Loss Carryovers.

In TurboTax Home & Business, follow these steps:

• Across the top of the screen, click on Business.
  • Click Continue.
  • Click on I'll choose what I want to work on.
  • Scroll down to Less Common Business Situations.
  • Click Start / Update to the right of Net Operating Loss / QBI Carryforward Loss.
Llys8

Where does it go in Turbo Tax premier? I recall entering  it last year April and yet now I see that it is not shown on line 3 on my completed return and my taxes have already been submitted to the IRS though they have not completed processing it. 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

@Llys8 You enter last years QBI loss in Turbo Tax Premier in the Wages and Income section, then Business Items, then Business deductions and credits, then Net Operating Loss, then on the second screen you will see 2020 Qualified Business Income Loss Carryovers.

cynthia29
Returning Member

Hi

1 -  Is there a reason why my 2020 from 8995 line 16 did not carry over to 2021 8995 line 3? 

2-  So I followed the instructions for TB premier and the loss reported on 1040 line 8.  Is this correct?  This creates a total current year loss plus the carryover which does not look right. 

Thanks

Cynthia 

cynthia29
Returning Member

I figured it out!  I entered the carryover in NOL which was incorrect and needed to go one step further to QBI loss carryover.  

So anyone know why TB 2021 did not bring over the TB 2020 QBI loss?  

Done.  

cynthia

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

There is a known issue being investigated now in regards to the QBI losses not staying populated and defaulting to 2018 regardless of the year you enter them for.  I will post with an update as soon as I have one.

@cynthia29

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies