turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does my tax due go up when I include long term capital gains, even though I'm still in the 15% bracket, where long term capital gains are supposed to be taxed at 0%?

All previous answers say is that "Turbo Tax figures your tax correctly." Well, no it doesn't seem to.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why does my tax due go up when I include long term capital gains, even though I'm still in the 15% bracket, where long term capital gains are supposed to be taxed at 0%?

While your long-term capital gains may be eligible for 0% rates, it is still income itself, potentially impacting certain deductions and tax credits, and the taxation of Social Security. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

While your long-term capital gains may be eligible for 0% rates, it is still income itself, potentially impacting certain deductions and tax credits, and the taxation of Social Security. 

Since you are using the downloaded program switch to the FORMS mode and look at the QDCGT worksheet to see just how the tax is being calculated.  Also review your form 1040 before & after entering the stock sale to see just what is being effected.

When you enter one taxable transaction, you can't just watch the monitor.  You increased your overall adjusted gross income and with that come many other changes in your return, not just the incremental tax on the one transaction. Like for example it increased your AGI and that would decrease some deductions if you itemized on Schedule A.  And by increasing your AGI it might reduce some credits you were getting like EIC.

Thanks everyone...since I use the Standard Deduction, my tax increase was due entirely to having more of my SS eligible to be taxed because my "combined income" went up.

Bingo.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies