Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When I sell an investment property with multiple owners, is the capital gain divided among all the owners? i have been claiming all rental income due to simplicity

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

When I sell an investment property with multiple owners, is the capital gain divided among all the owners? i have been claiming all rental income due to simplicity

First of all, you should have been filing Partnership tax returns (Form 1065) all along.  ALL income, expenses & depreciation is entered on the Form 1065.  Then a K-1 for each partner is be generated for reporting of said info on their personal tax returns.

Please see a local professional to straighten all this out before you sell the property.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/partnerships

Really? Because an accountant has done this for us in the past and didn't think form 1065 is needed. Also to make it more complicated, the home is owned by 4 people but the mortgage is on 2 person's name only so only those 2 person can claim the interest expenses.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies