Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When I enter Put or Call options written in 1099-B section (Type of investment=Options) there is no box for proceeds. How would I enter it?

Under Short-term basis reported to IRS (covered)
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When I enter Put or Call options written in 1099-B section (Type of investment=Options) there is no box for proceeds. How would I enter it?

Thanks for your response. If 'Sold' is selected in '6 'Sold or Expired' then the 1d- Proceeds box appears. 
However, if 'Expired' is selected in 6 than the 1d- Proceeds box does Not appear.

The options in question have expired.

Since the two brokers (Fidelity & Schwab) that I could import automatically marked Options Sold as 'Stock (non-employee') I will do the same for the options from my 3rd. 

I think the Turbo Tax format assumes options are all purchased, so if they expire there are no proceeds. Therefore, options written/sold cannot be entered as options. However there appears to be no impact on the tax liability.

Regards, 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I'm not sure what you mean by "there is no box for proceeds".  Is that on the 1099-B form? 

• These may be open positions that you have not closed yet, 
  • Or possibly short option positions that had expired and gone to zero.

Yes, you should post the transaction as a (Short/Long) term basis reported to IRS (covered)

The Short or Long term designation will depend on the holding period.

Under new broker reporting requirements, options transactions are now reported to the Internal Revenue Service when you close the position, including your cost basis and capital gain or loss.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the reply. Proceeds are on my 1099-B Form. I have accounts at 3 brokerages. 2 are able to load automatically. The 3rd is not. When I enter the Put or Call Options I wrote there is no box for proceeds on TurboTax. I pasted below, hopefully it is readable.

When I select 'Options' for "What Type of Investment did you sell?" there is no box to place the proceeds amount. TurboTax shows boxes for 1A, 1C, 1E; but I don't see 1B-Proceeds.

When I look at the data from the 2 brokers that were automatically imported. The options I wrote Puts or Calls on, are reported as 'Stock (non-employee)' instead of 'Options'.  Is this correct for TurboTax? The Expired choice only shows when Options are selected, not Stock.

Thanks, 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What type of investment did you sell?  Short Term Basis Reported to IRS (Covered)

Sales info (Boxes 1a - 1e)

What type of investment did you sell? 
— Select —Stock (non-employee), Cryptocurrency, Mutual fund, index fund, ETF, Bond, Options

Box 1a - Description 
The date this investment was acquired
Something other than a date 
Sold or expired?
Sold
Expired

Box 1c - Date expired (if shown)
Box 1e - Cost or other basis 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Based on what you're saying you know where the form input screen is.

Please see line 8 below for the area to enter the proceeds.

1. The header is Now, enter one sale on your XXXX 1099‑B
  2. Sales section Enter Short/Long Term designation
  3. What type of investment did you sell? = Options
  4. Box 1a - Description
  5. Select the information type you see in Box 1b:
    1. The date this investment was acquired 
    2. Something other than a date 
  6. Sold or expired? 
    1. Sold
    2. Expired
  7. Box 1c - Date sold or disposed
  8. Box 1d - Proceeds 
  9. Box 1e - Cost or another basis

Thanks for your response. If 'Sold' is selected in '6 'Sold or Expired' then the 1d- Proceeds box appears. 
However, if 'Expired' is selected in 6 than the 1d- Proceeds box does Not appear.

The options in question have expired.

Since the two brokers (Fidelity & Schwab) that I could import automatically marked Options Sold as 'Stock (non-employee') I will do the same for the options from my 3rd. 

I think the Turbo Tax format assumes options are all purchased, so if they expire there are no proceeds. Therefore, options written/sold cannot be entered as options. However there appears to be no impact on the tax liability.

Regards, 

The problem is still here when I tried to file my 2022 tax. guess I will do the same and assume that is a stock

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Options are treated like stock sales when they expire and when they are sold.  Enter them as follows in your tax return and usually there is not selling price if they expire and no cost basis if there is a gain.

Investment property, report the sale using the steps below:

1. Under Wages & Income scroll to Investments & Savings
  2. Select Start/Revisit beside Stocks, Cryptocurrency, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other (1099-B)
  3. Select Add Investments or continue to go through the screens to select 'Other' > Continue
  4. Begin to enter the sale description >  Under Type select Other > Under How did you receive select 'I Inherited it' (if applicable)
  5. For TurboTax Desktop you would enter the description 'Symbol Put or Call' and select the hold period
  6. Enter your sale date and 'Various' as the Acquired date
  7. Continue to complete the screens until you arrive back at the Wages & Income main page.  
  • Long term gains, defined as those held for longer than one year, generally have more advantageous tax characteristics than short-term gains, which are held for one year or less.

@oakwoodzzh 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies