turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is the best way to find the land value of a rental property i just sold (both when I bought and when I sold). Appraisal? Town records?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DS30

What is the best way to find the land value of a rental property i just sold (both when I bought and when I sold). Appraisal? Town records?

For when the property was sold - You can check with the county tax assessor office to see if they have an up-to-date break down of the property between land and structures or you can get an appraisal of the property.

For when the property was purchased - here is one way to determine the original cost of your land. You will need

• a copy of your property tax bill
  • the original cost of what you paid for your property in total

Step 1

Find your cost basis by adding your home's purchase price to the closing costs that you paid when you bought it, excluding any loan-related costs. For instance, if the house and land together totaled $150,000 and you paid another $3,000 in closing costs, your basis would be $153,000.

Step 2

Divide the assessed value of your house by the total assessed value of the house and land. For instance, if your county assessed your home at $125,000 and the land at $25,000 for a total assessed value of of $150,000, you would divide $125,000 into $150,000 to find that the house represents 83.33 percent of the total value of your property.

Step 3

Multiply your cost basis by the percentage share of the house to find the value of the house. With a house that represents 83.33 percent of the total property's value of $153,000, the house would be worth $127,495

Step 4

Subtract the house's value from the total value to find the land value. If the total value is $153,000 and the house's value is $127,495, then the land's value would be $25,505.

Tip

• If you have a copy of an appraisal, and it breaks out the house and land values, you can also use it to establish the allocation of value between the house and land. The Internal Revenue Service's rule of thumb is that your allocation should be based on fair market values however you calculate them. You can also use an allocation that appears in your purchase agreement, if it has one.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies