Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is mutual life insurance converted to stock via former employer considered for how I acquired stock?

I have a 1099B from sale of stock. I acquired the stock from my previous employer back in 2001. It originally was obtained by a Mutual Life Insurance conversion to stock. The original cost per share when it went public was $18.50. The cost basis is $0 from my understanding on my form and calling Computershare. My question is, Turbotax is asking me how I acquired the stock. The options are ESPP, NQSO, ISO, RS, RSU, Mutual Funds, and Bonds or other. What option do I choose? I know it could impact the amount of the stock taxed. If other, it appears it will take a big chunk out of my return. Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What is mutual life insurance converted to stock via former employer considered for how I acquired stock?

You treat it as purchased on the date you received it back in 2001, so it will be Long term gain.

Most de-mutualization you do have a $0 basis, and that is what yours would be unless you have information to document otherwise.

Your option is not one of the above " ESPP, NQSO, ISO, RS, RSU, Mutual Funds, and Bonds or other" so chose other, as it is a purchase.

Once you get it in the program as Long term this should minimize some of the tax impact.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You treat it as purchased on the date you received it back in 2001, so it will be Long term gain.

Most de-mutualization you do have a $0 basis, and that is what yours would be unless you have information to document otherwise.

Your option is not one of the above " ESPP, NQSO, ISO, RS, RSU, Mutual Funds, and Bonds or other" so chose other, as it is a purchase.

Once you get it in the program as Long term this should minimize some of the tax impact.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies