• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
axel-2017

What exactly is living expenses? I love with my parents rent free but I pay for my stuff what I need and then some

What exactly is living expenses i live with my parents rent free but I pay for my stuff what I need and then some
2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

What exactly is living expenses? I love with my parents rent free but I pay for my stuff what I need and then some

Basically,

Food

Clothing

Shelter

Transportation

Entertainment (at a *RESONABLE* amount for your income)

If you live with your parents, there's no question they provide you shelter and it's a fair bet they feed you to. If you are under the age of 19 what you make or what your provide doesn't matter. 

****OR****

If you are a full time student under the age of 23 your earnings dont' matter. You would be hard pressed to provie that you provide more than 50% of your own support. I seriously doubt it would be possible to do with your setup, even if you earned a million dollars.

There are those rare occasions which practically guarantee an audit with chances more than 90% the person being audited will be denied their claim of providing more than half of their own support.

TomD8
Level 15

Go to Page 15 of this IRS reference and you'll find a worksheet for determining "support": https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf 

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v