Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I am an oil field workers and I'm on a rotation type schedule 1 month at work and 1 month at home can I claim per diem for the month I am at work?

I am away from my home for half the year out of the country can I claim per diem for when I am at work in Saudi Arabia?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

If I am an oil field workers and I'm on a rotation type schedule 1 month at work and 1 month at home can I claim per diem for the month I am at work?

Yes, you can claim per diem if your work in Saudi Arabia is expected to last less than one year. The determining factor is not how long you are at the work site during the year, but how long the job will last.

In Publication 511, the IRS says:

Generally, your tax home is the entire city or general area where your main place of business or work is located, regardless of where you maintain your family home. For example, you live with your family in Chicago but work in Milwaukee where you stay in a hotel and eat in restaurants. You return to Chicago every weekend. You may not deduct any of your travel, meals or lodging in Milwaukee because that's your tax home. Your travel on weekends to your family home in Chicago isn't for your work, so these expenses are also not deductible. If you regularly work in more than one place, your tax home is the general area where your main place of business or work is located.

The article below explains in more detail how the IRS rules work.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5018439

Well what if I keep going back there but they keep having me sign an STA (Short Term Assignment) every 6 months. Is this considered a Temporary work so that wouldn't be my tax home, And if it is then my Tax Home would be Saudi Arabia which wouldn't that mean I wouldn't have to pay US tax?
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

It sounds like they understand the tax law. Because you have signed this contract, go ahead and take the deduction, with the understanding that you may hear from the IRS. With the contract in hand, though, you should be in good shape. Keep those contracts!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies