turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We pay 30% rent to the business issuing my husband's 1099. The 30% comes directly out before my husband is paid, so it does not show on the 1099. Can we deduct that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

We pay 30% rent to the business issuing my husband's 1099. The 30% comes directly out before my husband is paid, so it does not show on the 1099. Can we deduct that?

Yes, you can deduct the 30% rent you pay since the 1099-MISC form shows 100% of the income your husband earned not the 70% he actually received. 

For additional information, see What self-employed expenses can I deduct? and 

Where do I enter my self-employment business expenses, like home office, vehicle mileage, and suppli...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

no - because you technically never received the money to begin with, so you already have the benefit. 

if the rent was not netted from the 1099 (meaning the 1099 was a higher dollar figure) than you could, but it gets you back to the same place. 

@HelenC12  - can you please go back and read the question again and reconfirm your response.... the 30% comes out BEFORE the husband is paid, which I read as :

earned $100

rent     ($30)

1099 shows $70 

you CAN NOT deduct the $30 a second time. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies