turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why are long term capital gains rate 19%, but my income is in the 15% bracket. Test...modified my LT gains then divided the difference-in-tax by the difference-in-gains.

Our married, joint income was less than $400,000 which put us in the 15% bracket for long term capital gains. However when I tested modifying my LT capital gains by several thousand and calculating the rate, by dividing the difference in tax by the difference in gains, the rate came out to nearly 19%.  Please explain.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why are long term capital gains rate 19%, but my income is in the 15% bracket. Test...modified my LT gains then divided the difference-in-tax by the difference-in-gains.

The Net Investment Income Tax of 3.8% - given your income.  Schedule 4, Line 62.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

You need to look deeper ... at that income level you are almost surely subject to the extra investment tax .... you are using the downloaded version so switch to the forms mode and look at the return before and after the addition of that income.

I see now, the net investment income tax of 3.8% applies.  Thank you.

The Net Investment Income Tax of 3.8% - given your income.  Schedule 4, Line 62.

Thank you.  I wasn't aware of this before.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies