turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sukarna

I live in California and have rental income from rental property in Arizona. California it seems does not allow tax credit for tax paid to Arizona. Is this correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I live in California and have rental income from rental property in Arizona. California it seems does not allow tax credit for tax paid to Arizona. Is this correct?

It is correct.  California and Arizona are reverse credit states.  In this case, California taxes all of your income, and then you claim a credit on the Arizona return for taxes paid to California on the rental income.  You will still file both states, but you will prepare the California return first, and then the Arizona return.  You will have a screen that will allow you to claim the credit for California taxes on your Arizona return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It is correct.  California and Arizona are reverse credit states.  In this case, California taxes all of your income, and then you claim a credit on the Arizona return for taxes paid to California on the rental income.  You will still file both states, but you will prepare the California return first, and then the Arizona return.  You will have a screen that will allow you to claim the credit for California taxes on your Arizona return.

sukarna

Thank you! Any idea how I can check in Turbo Tax the  amount of tax CA charged for this rental income after completing the CA return and before going through AZ return?
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It should carry over.  If not, then two steps.  First, take the amount of CA taxes you paid in and subtract CA refund or add in CA tax due.  Once you have that, then multiply that number by the CA rental income, and divide by the total CA income.  The remaining amount is the amount of tax you are paying to CA on the rental income.
sukarna

It got carried over, thank you. Turbo Tax just put the same amount for credit as AZ would have charged in taxes otherwise. Turbo Tax showed a warning that CA return copy should be included along with AZ return. I am assuming Turbo Tax will do it automatically if filing electronically.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

TurboTax will file required documents electronically, but always print out your tax return in case you are asked to produce it.  
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies