Taken 75k HELOC to buy rental property of 100k. HELOC Annual interest is 3k. I am a salaried employee in the 20% bracket. Can I claim interest deduction of the entire 3k?

pa_chaits

If I buy 3 other rental properties with HELOC on similar lines, is the entire interest deductible from my income ?

You are taking an equity loan from your main home to buy rental properties.

In that case, you can deduct the loan interest as a rental expense on schedule E, or as personal mortgage interest on schedule A (but not both).

If you deduct the interest as personal mortgage interest on schedule A, your deductible mortgage amount is equal to the acquisition cost of your home plus $100,000.  The acquisition cost is what you paid, plus the cost of any permanent improvements.

• Let's say you bought your home for $100,000 and it is now worth $500,000 and you made $50,000 of improvements. The most mortgage interest you can deduct is on a loan balance of $250,000; which could include any combination of your primary mortgage and one or more HELOCs.  (For example, if the main mortgage is paid off you could have up to $250,000 of HELOC. If the main mortgage balance is $40,000, you could deduct interest on up to $210,000 of HELOC.)

I'm not aware of any limits on deducting the interest as a rental expense, so that is probably the better way to go.