turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stock Tax Implications

Hello,

I have sold $5k in stocks this year already and looking to sell $10-20k more. Can you help me understand how this may effect my refund? Does it make more sense to wait until January 2020 to sell more?

Thanks,

Ryan

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stock Tax Implications

against the sales proceeds you can deduct the stock cost.  if you end up with net income taxation depends on whether short term - stocks held 1 year or less -  regular tax rates or long term - stocks held more than 1 year.

if net loss, up to $3,000 per year is deductible the rest gets carried over.     we can not advise on when to sell your stocks. that's an economic ans personal decision. 

Stock Tax Implications

Thanks. So knowing that all of my stock is profit, no loss, and if I sell more than 1 yr old stock (long term), what is the tax %? And am I taxed just on the gains or the entire amount? Do they treat it like a bonus or regular pay?

Stock Tax Implications

@Rsudenga19 wrote:

Thanks. So knowing that all of my stock is profit, no loss, and if I sell more than 1 yr old stock (long term), what is the tax %? And am I taxed just on the gains or the entire amount? Do they treat it like a bonus or regular pay?

You are only taxed on the actual gain, not the gross proceeds of the sale (i.e., the entire amount).

Further, your gains are taxed at long-term capital gains tax rates, which are 0%, 15%, and 20%, and not ordinary income tax rates (net (long-term) capital gains receive special tax treatment).

See https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc409

Stock Tax Implications

Is this stock you get at work?  That might be entered or treated differently and also come on your W2.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies