turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Starting and Stopping a Business in same year

This happen to me.   I have all the receipts for the LLC and paid Delaware Tax even though I never opened.  Had to pay to remove the LLC and more Delaware Tax.  While it is not a lot of money I would like to claim it.  Is that proper?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

You may be able to deduct some of your expenses even though you never opened your business.

The IRS will allow you to deduct capital expenses you had in your attempt to start your business.  Capital expenses would include fees paid to the state or other taxing authorities to establish your LLC. 

You can not deduct any expenses prior to making the decision to start your LLC.  These expenses would include the costs for a general search or preliminary investigation into the possibility of establishing your LLC.

This link is to IRS Publication 535 Business Expenses that has information that you may find useful.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

You may be able to deduct some of your expenses even though you never opened your business.

The IRS will allow you to deduct capital expenses you had in your attempt to start your business.  Capital expenses would include fees paid to the state or other taxing authorities to establish your LLC. 

You can not deduct any expenses prior to making the decision to start your LLC.  These expenses would include the costs for a general search or preliminary investigation into the possibility of establishing your LLC.

This link is to IRS Publication 535 Business Expenses that has information that you may find useful.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies