turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Makenagre

Short Term Capital Gains Tax While Moving States

I currently live in California and purchased 400 shares of ABC stock on 07/14/2021. If I moved to Florida on 09/01/2021, and sold 300 shares of ABC stock on 09/02/2021, with capital gains of 1.8 million USD, would I still have to pay California state capital gains tax? Florida does not have state income tax where as California has state capital gains tax of 13.3%. I am planning on moving to Florida and am looking at the best way to file my taxes and take advantage of any tax incentives. I know I need to speak with a tax accountant but am curious as to what the general concensus is.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

you are taxed in the state you had domicile (your permanent residence) on the date of sale. since FL has no income tax you pay no state income taxes on this sale.

You MUST change your domicile in full or CA will give you a hard time later.  Change your DL and voter's registration and if you still own property in CA then remove the homestead exemption.  You must remove all ties to CA and file a final part year CA return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies