Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

edub2

Schedule E - Days for Personal Use - Will not let me continue

In 2022, I rented out half of my house on Airbnb for 19 days total. 346 days were for personal use. On Schedule E, where it asks for "days rented at fair rental value" and "days of personal use", I entered 19 and 346, respectively. TurboTax flags this as an error, telling me "Days personal use should not be more than zero. You have indicated this is an owner-occupied rental property".

TurboTax will not let me e-file unless I adjust this field to zero. I don't understand why my days of personal use has to be zero when I've already entered that I am renting part of my home for part of the year. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

The days of personal use is for days "AFTER" you converted the property or space to a rental. Most likely, that will be ZERO.

What you used the property or space for while it was *NOT* classified as a rental *do* *not* count for anything.

If you converted the property or space to rental on Dec 12 and it remained classified as such through the end of the tax year, then you have 19 days the property or space was classified as a rental. The total number of rental days/business use days, plus the number of personal use days can not exceed 19 in this particular example.

edub2

Interesting. In this case, I rented out the space sporadically throughout the year. Between guest stays, it was used as an office/guest room. Do I still enter zero in days personal use?

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Yes, enter zero personal use days. TurboTax assumes you occupied the space when it wasn't being rented, since you reported this as an owner-occupied rental. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies