turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

maryk

I received income this year from a class action lawsuit. It is showing $4533.40 as interest income...how do I report this. It's says I don't qualify for the EIC because of the broker investment...I don't have a brokerage account.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I received income this year from a class action lawsuit. It is showing $4533.40 as interest income...how do I report this. It's says I don't qualify for the EIC because of the broker investment...I don't have a brokerage account.

To enter your interest income:

• Type in 1099 int  in the search box, top right of your screen, then click the magnifying glass

• Click the jump to 1099 int link in the search results.

• Follow the onscreen instructions to enter

On the Let's get your 1099-INT or brokerage statement details page, enter your interest income in box #1

If you have more than $3,400 in investment income, you will not qualify for the Earned Income Credit.

See Earned Income Credit Qualifications

View solution in original post

4 Replies
nchacon21

Same situation, did you get a solution or forced to claim as investment income?

To enter your interest income:

• Type in 1099 int  in the search box, top right of your screen, then click the magnifying glass

• Click the jump to 1099 int link in the search results.

• Follow the onscreen instructions to enter

On the Let's get your 1099-INT or brokerage statement details page, enter your interest income in box #1

If you have more than $3,400 in investment income, you will not qualify for the Earned Income Credit.

See Earned Income Credit Qualifications

maryk

I know the above and have done that.  My point is that the interest was not from an investment account.  I don't know how the interest was calculated in the class action suit, but it seems like there should be another place to claim interest that wasn't from a personal investment.

For EIC purposes, The IRS considers interest income to be "investment income" no matter where it comes from. In a day of .01% interest rates, over $4,500 in interest income strikes me as rather unusual and irregular.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies