turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rental in Showing in Wrong State

I am a CA resident with rentals in GA and FL.  While filing my Federal Taxes, I put all properties under an 'enterprise' since they are the same type of business and I handled them from my home office. 

When it comes to state taxes, FL does not have a personal income tax.  Therefore, I am not filing FL taxes.   Why is my FL property showing in my GA return?  If this is a mistake, can you tell me how to correct it? 

Also, all my properties show in my CA taxes for deductions/ depreciations.  I assume this is normal since I reside in CA.  Please let me know if that is not the case.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Yes. It is normal for all your properties to be included on your California income tax return because California residents are taxed on income earned everywhere.

The nonresident Georgia income tax return will allow you to exclude non-Georgia income. 

On the screen Georgia Part-Year and Nonresidents, divide your Rents, Royalties, and K-1 income between Georgia and Other State.

The amounts not taxable to GA will appear on Income not Taxable to Georgia on Schedule 3 for Form 500.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Yes. It is normal for all your properties to be included on your California income tax return because California residents are taxed on income earned everywhere.

The nonresident Georgia income tax return will allow you to exclude non-Georgia income. 

On the screen Georgia Part-Year and Nonresidents, divide your Rents, Royalties, and K-1 income between Georgia and Other State.

The amounts not taxable to GA will appear on Income not Taxable to Georgia on Schedule 3 for Form 500.

@ErnieS0 ,

I really appreciate your reply.  Would I populate those numbers based on my "Rental and Royalty Summary" on my Federal Taxes?  I can clearly see what belongs to FL vs. GA there.  I ask because TurboTax is auto populating numbers that do not match those numbers.

Thanks so much for taking the time,

Ed

hcliao69

For "Georgia Part-Year and Nonresidents", I didn't live in GA the whole year in 2022.

What are considered the "Georgia income"? The rent from Georgia rental property? The interest from LLC registerd in Georgia?

Should i move 100% of these "Georgia income" from "Other State" to "Georgia"?

Thx.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

If you didn't live in Georgia for the entire year then you will file a Georgia non-resident return.  Be sure to do the non-resident return before you do your own state return for the state where you do live (if your state requires a return.

For the Georgia return the system will walk you through your entries.  You will tell it all the income from Georgia sources and you'll be taxed on that.  

You should change 'other state' to 'Georgia'.  It helps the computer figure out what goes where.

@hcliao69 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies