Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

black1761

Why did Pennsylvania State return not deduct my capital loss on Sale of stock of -$1305?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Why did Pennsylvania State return not deduct my capital loss on Sale of stock of -$1305?

You may not offset income in one PA income class with a loss in any other PA income class and there is no carryovers. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
gangstadt
Returning Member

PA tax return, I have a capital loss from stock and capital gains from mutual funds but my losses are not deducted from my capital gains?  Why? This should be the same asset class?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

You are correct, it is the same asset class (Forms 1099-B). Ownership does affect the outcome.

Pennsylvania also has no provisions for the carryover of losses from one tax year to another year. Furthermore, Pennsylvania does not allow an offset of loss against gain from one class of income to another or between two taxpayers (i.e., spouses). This could be a reason you do not see what you are looking for.  PA Overview of Capital Gains and Losses

The loss should offset the gain to arrive at the net result. The Pennsylvania (PA) return does allow you to make adjustments on your return as you go step by step through the tax return interview and it allows you to select the owner of the property/stock or mutual fund.

I selected joint ownership, my return comes out accurately based on the images below. Be sure to 'Preview your PA Tax Summary' by using the steps below.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
gangstadt
Returning Member

I realize ownership matters & this is where the error seems to be. I did not check joint ownership, however, I have capital gains & I have the capital loss.  I would think the capital loss should be used to lower my capital gains.  It does not.  Is this a bug in TurboTax or is my only option  "Joint Ownership"?

RaifH
Expert Alumni

In case you did not see my post on another thread, in PA capital gain distributions from mutual funds are reported as Dividends on Line 3. Capital losses from Line 5 cannot be used to offset them.

For more information, see the PA-40 instructions pages 17-18: "Report capital gains distributions received from mutual funds as PA taxable dividend income, even though you report such distributions as capital gains on federal Schedule D."

@gangstadt

gangstadt
Returning Member

Wow! Well done.  Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies