Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Website won't allow me to save my expenses on my rental property

I'm under "wages and income" and clicked on "rental property". My 1099-misc saves, same for real estate taxes. Insurance premiums, repairs, utilities, supplies, management fees, professional and legal fees, and travel all say "not started" and show $0.00 for my 2020 tax return. When I click "start" it shows the amount I entered but does not show back up when I click "done" and still says $0.00 and "not started". I've tried getting a hold of tech support but they respond that this is a tax assistance question and that I need to give them more money. This is a problem with entering information on the website, not a tax assistance question.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

25 Replies

This is normally caused by a browser issue. 

Use the Chrome browser
Click the three dots in the upper right corner
Select Settings

Privacy and Security

Clear browser data for all time

Insert clear browser pic

Then sign in to TurboTax on the Chrome browser
 You should now be able to enter your data and have it save correctly.  

A landlord is allowed to deduct any reasonable expenses used in the conduct, maintenance and managing of her rental properties. That includes:

• Utilities
  • Taxes
  • Necessary and reasonable repairs to the property
  • Travel costs incurred while doing business

Hello! I just wanted to add that I have this exact same issue. I've spent 90 minutes on the phone with TurboTax employees, and we've tried clearing the cache and cookies, as well as trying on a different device and a different browser, all to no avail. All they could do was say "Maybe try the downloadable product and see if that works."

I think there is actually a bug in TurboTax online somehow.

There is also another post similar to this one. So I know we are not the only ones.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/investments-and-rental-properties/discussion/re-in-my-rental-prope...

The EXACT same thing is happening to me for my rental property and I’ve changed my browser to Chrome as well as cleared the cache and cookies. Not sure what else to do. 

Strangely, as I went to “Review” tab, my information magically appeared again for my expenses, so I guess my advice would be to keep at it until the very last step and maybe it will work for you as well! 

Did anyone get a fix? This is happening to me today so frustrating 

LoSeid

I am having the same issues with my rental property expenses. I can enter my insurance, repairs, but when I enter more than one line in misc expenses, it zeros out those fields and shows not started. but when I click into them to edit my expenses I typed show up but don't pull forward into the calculations. Been on the phone with TT 6 times over the last week trying to fix this.

LoSeid

I have tried different browsers, clearing my cache, different devices (iOS and PC), deleting the individual expense lines out and re-entering, and deleting the entire Schedule E section out and re-entering. What other solutions do you propose trying? This sounds like many are experiencing an issue with this portion of your software.

I still don't have a solution for this. I've also reached out to Turbo Tax on Twitter to see if there's a way to get help that way.

Did anyone find a solution here?  Guess I'm a bit behind you all but finding the same issue.  Customer service has been no help.

I eventually used the downloadable product on Mac to finish my taxes instead of the online product. The interface isn't as pretty, but it did not seem to have the same issues.  (You have to pay up front to download it, unlike the online version of Turbotax, where you pay when you file.)

Anyone find a fix yet?  I decided to wait a week to see if the bug got fixed but seems it has not been.  Still can't get rental expenses to show up.

Had to use the downloadable TurboTax version.  Had to start all over entering info.

Paull037

Thanks for these details.  This problem is exactly what I'm experiencing, too.

Can you be specific about the "REVIEW" button? In which section?  Just for Rental Property?  Or, the whole return?

Thanks,

paul

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies