turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

estelacl

We have rental property that has incoming income of $10800. In rental and royalty summary I am automatically given a negative net income. Is this correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

We have rental property that has incoming income of $10800. In rental and royalty summary I am automatically given a negative net income. Is this correct?

If you transferred information from TurboTax 2018, it may be the depreciation which was already calculated- if you have not entered all of your income and expenses, do so and check the amount on the final summary.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

With rare exception (and I mean *REALLY* rare) residential rental real estate will always operate at a loss *ON PAPER* come tax time, every year. When you take the depreciation you are required to take by law, along with the deductions for mortgage interest, property taxes and insurance, that will almost always exceed the rental income income received for the year. Add to that your other rental expenses you're allowed (cleaning, maintenance, repairs, etc.) and you're practically guaranteed to operate at a loss every single year.

When your rental expenses/deductions get your taxable rental income to zero, that's it. You're done. Any excess deductions are carried over to the next year. So with each passing year you will have ever increases losses that get carried over to the next year. You can't "realize" those losses against non-rental income until the tax year you sell the property.

Therefore, its completely normal for your bottom line figure on line 26 of SCH E to be zero, or a negative number.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies