turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

artaxerxes123
Returning Member

Wash sale question

Wash-sale problem Etrade

Hello, 

During the earlier part of the year I did a lot of high frequency  day trading, and still day trade a lot

looking at my taxable gains though on my Etrade, it shows that I have 300,000K of disallowed losses !!!! from wash sales.  It is true that engaged in a lot of wash sales but I only hold a few positions now and they are not associated with the disallowed losses

most of the disallowed losses were associated TVix, SQQQ, and Sdow day trades, and I don't hold any of those for the last several months, sold them in July

But it looks like the wash sales just kept accumulating whereas I don't see the allowed loss when I finally got rid of the positions

I'm terrified that I will have a huge tax fill! how can I get out of this?  My account is only about 250K total and its more or less net even for the year so how can this happen?  it does not make logical senses.  

How do I get out of this situation, is my broker misreporting and not adding to my final cost basis?  they are closed now on the weekend.

It doesn't make sense I still have wash sales disallowences when no longer own the positions

thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Wash sale question

Your broker is in a much better position to help you than anyone on this site. 

Wash sale question

Please call the broker and let them explain their reporting documents.  But closing out the position will not negate the first sale that has the wash sale listed.  When you get the 1099-B in February it may make more sense. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wash sale question

E*TRADE and all other US brokers are required by the IRS to account for wash sales.  the broker is supposed to add the disallowed loss to the basis of the shares that caused the wash sale.  when you sell those shares since your basis has been increased the wash sale loss is included in the net gain or loss that is reported.  example: buy shares for $7 that cause a wash sale loss of $2. your basis is now $9. sell for  $10 you now have a net $1 gain. sell for $8 you now have a net $1 loss.    holding period of the wash sale shares tacks on to the replacement shares so a short-term wash sale loss can turn into long-term if the replacement shares are held long enough 

Wash sale question

Unfortunately, trades with an adjustment have to be reported on Form 8949.

A wash sale disallowed loss is an adjustment, code "W".

You will have to supply the details to IRS on Form 8949 or in equivalent form , e.g. consolidated 1099-B year-end printout.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wash sale question

perhaps your broker is among those where you can import your brokerage activity.  you would still be responsible for verifying accuracy. 

Wash sale question

the triggering transaction takes on the disallowed loss of a wash sale.

It all evens out in the end.

In the old days, when the rules were established, investors didn't do thousands of transactions a year.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wash sale question

broker's reports will show the wash sale. sell the shares causing the wash sale and brokers will show a reduced gain or increased loss. but most will not note that this has occurred. 

Greelish

Wash sale question

Capital gains/taxes/wash sales:

We only pay taxes on final NET capital gains ADJUSTED for prior year net capital loss carry overs (which are subtracted).

Capital gains – capital losses (ie capital losses offset capital gains) = net capital gains/losses

To calculate this, do the following:

Short term capital gains – long term capital losses = net short term capital gain/loss

Long term capital gains – long term capital losses = net long term capital gain/loss

Net capital losses (short or long), if any, can be used to offset net capital gains (short or long), if any, thus resulting in final net capital gain or loss (short or long).

If a final net capital loss occurs in a given tax year – you may use $3000 as a tax deduction for your personal income, but the rest (if there is more) gets carried forward to the next tax years return, (and the next) where it can be used to offset new net capital gains.  This goes on year to year until it gets “used up”.

Capital gains from this year – capital losses from prior years = taxable capital gains* (upon which to pay tax) / losses (to be carried forward)

Capital losses cannot be carried backward to prior tax years for personal income tax returns (but businesses can)

If you have a final net capital gain* you will pay capital gains tax on that gain according to these schedules and whether you have a final net short or long term capital gain:

In addition, a 3.8% NET INVESTMENT TAX (NIT) is levied on your net investment income depending on your income:

https://thecollegeinvestor.com/23577/capital-gains-tax-brackets/

Final short term capital gains are taxed at your marginal tax rate:

Final Long term capital gains are taxed as follows:

The effect for highest income earners is:

Short term capital gains:  taxed at 40.8%

Long term capital gains: taxed at 23.8%

Capital losses will be 23.8-40.8% less IF you can create a capital gain to match it.

Wash sales are almost inevitable if you make frequent trades (eg. day trading).  A wash sale occurs when you make a trade in which you sell at a loss AND have bought the same security 30 days before the day of the wash sale OR have bought the same security 30 days after the wash sale.  Therefore there is a 61 day window for wash sales (not 60 days).  If this should occur, the wash sale loss is disallowed, TEMPORARILY.  To calculate/report the wash sale: 1. "WS" is noted on the wash sale trade; 2.  the loss IS reported in the PROCEEDS column in the gains & losses tab; 3.  BUT the loss is recorded as ZERO IN YOUR “GAIN $” column (because it was disallowed as a loss). 

Because the wash sale is a "deferred loss" (temporarily) "RS" for “replacement shares” are then noted on the specific trade 30 days before or 30 days after the "WS" sale to mark the trade that triggered the wash sale.  This "RS" trade's cost basis is then "adjusted" by adding the wash sale loss (which was previously recorded as zero) to the RS cost basis.  In addition, the cost of the transaction (i.e. commission) is added.  The result is the “Total Cost”.  The net effect of this that the loss is kicked down the road and accounted for.  The adjusted cost basis, which is now higher, will lower your taxable gains, or increases your taxable losses BUT ONLY AFTER YOU SELL THE REPLACEMENT SHARES and consequently close out the wash sale.  In this way the original disallowed wash sale loss is accounted for later.  However, the wash sale rules continue to apply, so if you sell the replacement shares and have bought the same security within 30 days prior or 30days after you sell the replacement shares, you will trigger a new wash sale.  This will go on ad infinitum until you close out the replacement shares and do not buy the same security for 30 days.  Only at that time do you start fresh, and all your deferred losses are accounted for.  This is all fine, provided you do this (close out) in the same tax year.  If you have unresolved deferred losses at the end of the year you will have lost the potential tax advantage (i.e. offsetting gains) for that tax year and you will be paying tax on gains that could have been offset or neutralized with the deferred loss.  So, if you have wash sales with corresponding replacement shares marked RS that you are still holding, it is important that you sell those “RS” shares by December 31 and not buy back the same security within 30 days after in the new year.  If you forget, and or do so, you will trigger a wash sale back in December and you will lose that offsetting loss. Also note that you will trigger a wash sale if you make sales/purchases across different brokerage accounts/across spousal accounts/and retirement accounts.  If you trigger a wash sale by buying replacement shares in a different retirement account you will lose the tax advantage of the loss because the basis adjustment (which definitively would have accounted for the wash sale loss, described above) is not allowed in tax advantaged accounts.

Of note, if you calculated your NET proceeds (which is = “proceeds” – “total cost”) it will appear less than it actually is (“net proceeds” can be calculated at the bottom of the gains & losses tab totals) because the proceeds include the disallowed wash sale loss AND the total cost has accounted for the wash sale loss with an adjusted cost basis of the replacement shares, “RS” (See below). In effect calculating a “net proceed” accounts for the wash sale twice (in the adjusted cost basis (in the total cost) in the replacement shares, and by recording them in the proceeds column.  For this reason, the actual “gains $” are equal to “proceeds (adjusted basis to account for wash sale loss)” – “total cost (which also includes wash sale losses)” – “deferred loss”(wash sale loss). 

Wash sale question

What broker marks triggering shares "RS"?

I've never seen that on any consolidated 1099-B.

@Greelish 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies