Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Using the Turbo Tax Input Forms to correctly calculate the 2019 gain on sale of principal residence where the home has been used as a rental for years.

This is a question about using the Turbo Tax input forms.  I think I know how to calculate the gain but I don't see where the forms in Turbo Tax can calculate in correctly.  The forms don't ask the proper questions in order to correctly calculate the gain, the allocation of gain between non-qualified and qualified use, and the depreciation recapture.  thus I don't know how to put the information needed in the forms and get the correct answer.  Please help.  Thank you.

My phone number is [phone number removed]

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Using the Turbo Tax Input Forms to correctly calculate the 2019 gain on sale of principal residence where the home has been used as a rental for years.

You should use Step-by-Step Mode, specifically enter the transaction as Sale of Home (gain or loss) in the Less Common Income section of the program.

If you are still having issues entering the figures, you can contact Support via the link below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You should use Step-by-Step Mode, specifically enter the transaction as Sale of Home (gain or loss) in the Less Common Income section of the program.

If you are still having issues entering the figures, you can contact Support via the link below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies