turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

basher28

Where do i claim safe deposit box rental

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
HelenaC

To enter safe deposit box rental:

• Type safe deposit box in the Find/Search box and click search.
  • Click on Jump to safe deposit box.
  • Continue with the onscreen interview.

You can deduct safe deposit box rent if:

• You store taxable income-producing stocks, bonds, or investment-related papers and documents.
  • You can Not deduct the rent if you use the box only for jewelry, other personal items, or tax-exempt securities.
  • This is a miscellaneous deductions subject to the 2% rule so most likely will not make any difference.

In taxes, the 2% rule refers to the limitation on certain types of miscellaneous deductions, including unreimbursed job-related expenses (Form 2106), tax preparation fees, investment or advisory fees, and safe deposit box rentals.

Under the 2% rule, you're only allowed to deduct the portion of miscellaneous expenses that exceeds 2% of your adjusted gross income (AGI). You must also itemize to get this deduction. See What is the 2% rule?

HelenaC :  YOU ARE 100% WRONG.  YOUR ANSWER IS 100% INCORRECT.  DON'T GIVE TAX ADVICE.  

MISCELLANEOUS EXPENSES ARE NOT DEDUCTIBLE STARTING IN 2018.  IF YOUR ANSWER HAD BEEN WRITTEN 2 YEARS EARLIER, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN OK.  BUT YOU WROTE IT IN 2019; IT WAS WRONG AND HAD BEEN WRONG SINCE THE BEGINNING OF THE PREVIOUS YEAR.  

@saini - Unfortunately when they migrated the posts from the old "Answer Exchange" to this new "Community"  forum the old posts did not retain the actual posting date but have the date of the migration which was 6/5/2019 but this post is obviously many years old and is probably answering a question when such deductions were allowed.   So the post was written 2 or more years ago.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@saini For your information, the vast majority of posts that you see on this board that are dated from about the end of May through the beginning of July (but primarily posts in June of 2019) were transferred from another board on those dates; they could have been (and most of them actually were) posted in earlier years.

Oh, I didn't realize, thanks.  

Oh, I didn't realize, thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies