Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stuck in Federal Review for stocks, mutual funds, bonds, other

I am stuck on the review. TurboTax is flagging something wrong and giving me 2 "to-do" items for my stocks. No matter how much I review it, it will not allow me to proceed. I entered the sales section, total proceeds, total cost basis, checked the box for total adjustments to gain or loss, chose W, hit continue, upload my 1099-b pdf file, then hit done and it still says it's not complete. What is going on? Driving me insane.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

25 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Please clarify what "to-do" items you are receiving. Is TurboTax advising you to mail some forms to the IRS? Or do you have another task?

If you reported a stock sale summary, you are required to file Form 8949 (reporting the summary), your broker statement(s), and Form 8453 (which simply indicates that you are mailing the detail information, while your return is sent electronically). 

Since you are e-filing your tax return, please mail your statements along with Form 8453 to:

Internal Revenue Service
Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254
Receipt and Control Branch
Austin, TX 73344-0254

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This to-do list. No, I'm not mailing any forms. It will not let me past this screen. I hit review, I review the info. it's all correct. There are zero errors indicated on any of the screens. Spits me back here every time. I even deleted both forms and started all over, same result.

stocks.jpg

Just got off the phone with TurboTax support for an hour and a half. They don't know what's wrong with their product and told me to file with the errors! INSANE! Worst product EVER.

Were you able to fix the problem?

nope.

Okay. I went ahead and submitted. I don't think there is anything to "fix". It is supposed to be "reviewed" I guess. I don't know for sure lol. I went ahead and submitted with those things unresolved. My return was accepted. 

I fixed the issue. Was your 1098-b from apex holdings by any chance, or did you have any disallowed wash sales on your 1098-b?  This is a stupid bug in their software.

how did you fix this?

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

The prior posts seem to be dealing with an issue involving wash sales from the sale of stock.  The wash sale rule essentially disallows a taxpayer from taking a loss.  The disallowed loss is added back to the cost basis for the purchase that triggered the wash sale.  If you are dealing with "Needs Review" messages in TurboTax, review your wash sale transactions and make sure you have entered them correctly.  Each wash sale will need to reflect an adjustment in column G, Form 8949.  

@RW0818

Incorrect. The prior post has to do with TurboTax having a bug on 1098-b forms not allowing you to proceed past the "completecheck" screen.

I am also stuck in the review part. My 1099-b is from Apex but not for wash sales. How do you fix?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

This is a known issue in TurboTax.  The programmers are working on it.  If you would like to be notified when it is fixedplease sign up here.

Did you receive your tax return after filing with errors?? I'm stuck on same thing smh

I'm having this same issue, have 140 errors that need review and not letting me get past it. When can we expect this issue to be resolved? And are we going to receive any discounts for dealing with this annoying and burdensome issue? Because if not I'm most definitely not using Turbo Tax again next year. Costs
the same as a CPA as a self employed individual and I have to do all the work and deal with these software bugs that are not fixed after weeks of customers dealing with it ... so stupid.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies