Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

xuelanwu2

Should there be depreciation expense after a 1031 exchange? For tax year 2018, I reported in kind exchange. Why there is no depreciation expenses in 2019?

Turbotax was used for both years for filing. How can I override the 0 depreciation amount?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Should there be depreciation expense after a 1031 exchange? For tax year 2018, I reported in kind exchange. Why there is no depreciation expenses in 2019?

@xuelanwu2 wrote:
Turbotax was used for both years for filing. How can I override the 0 depreciation amount?

Did you actually add the replacement property as an asset in the Rental Properties section of the program?

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

After a 1031 exchange, you need to set up the asset you received in the exchange, just like when you set up an asset after you purchase it.

For a Rental Property, the asset needs to be set up in the Rental Property section of TurboTax.

After you set the asset up with the value you have, then TurboTax will calculate the depreciation.

If this is a rental property, then the asset will depreciation over 27 1/2 years.

@xuelanwu2

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies