turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rental shared space without clearly demarcated space

If I share my home with a renter (typically short-term) but there are no explicitly marked spaces for exclusive use, how do I calculate expenses, depreciation?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

you could treat this as sharing expenses and not worry about reporting anything and that's it or treat it as a not for profit rental.

Not clear what you mean by "not for profit" rental. Doesn't the rent count as income/profit?

not for profit means you have no net losses......your expenses aren't more than your income.....if you depreciate you're going to have to recapture later.

Carl
Level 15

Generally, there "has" to be at least one room that is for the exclusive use of the renter. That would be the bedroom. So at an absolute minimum that room is for the sole and exclusive use of the renter. If a two bath house where there is a bath that can only be accessed from that bedroom, then that bath is also for the exclusive use of the renter. So I'm not seeing how you can't have a clearly demarcated area for the renter, unless there's something about this arrangement you're leaving out.

I understand but this is a slightly unusual situation since that renter is also a friend/relative. The bath is shared. Also that person sleeps in the living room or sometimes a bedroom if there aren't other friends over. The lease does not say anything specific about exclusive use of any portion of the house but that certain portions of the house are shared.

Carl
Level 15

If a relative, then I would just consider it a cost sharing arrangement and leave well enough alone. You're not making a profit and never will, since what you're being paid most likely doesn't even cover the mortgage interest.

Otherwise, for taxes you "HAVE" to designate a percentage of the floor space as exclusive use. Weather it actually is or not, is irrelevant. But I still recommend "don't go there" since it's a relative. You're just creating more unnecessary paperwork that could very well start screaming "HEY! IRS! AUDIT ME NOW! PLEASE! HURRY! QUICK! FAST!"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies