Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct fees for buying and selling stock?

I pay $6.95 for each trade I make and want to know if I can claim these charges

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

No, the IRS does not allow you to write off transactions fees, such as brokerage fees and commissions, when you buy or sell stocks.

Instead, you can add the amount of those fees to the purchase price of your stock. 

The purchase price plus the cost to acquire your stock equals your cost basis.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

No, the IRS does not allow you to write off transactions fees, such as brokerage fees and commissions, when you buy or sell stocks.

Instead, you can add the amount of those fees to the purchase price of your stock. 

The purchase price plus the cost to acquire your stock equals your cost basis.

krnba
Returning Member

My question is would the costs of selling and buying be reflected on the 1099?    I bought a fund that has an annual $250 fee..  Will this be reflected on the 1099?

@krnba wrote:

My question is would the costs of selling and buying be reflected on the 1099?    I bought a fund that has an annual $250 fee..  Will this be reflected on the 1099?

Expenses associated with buying, holding and selling stocks, mutual funds and other investments, are not deductible for tax years 2018-2025.  That includes trading fees, management fees, and loads or commissions.  Those fees won't be reported on your 1099-B because they have no affect on your income taxes.

The cost to buy or sell stocks is already reflected in the net gain/loss when you sell the underlying stock ... review your broker statement showing the total cost basis  and/or ask the broker to explain how the cost is entered on the reporting forms.   

your commissions, if any, and fees are added in automatically to your cost and proceeds. there's no special notation.

yearly maintenance fees are listed separately as a deduction to your account balance.

yearly maintenance fees are an investment expense. prior to 2018 they were a schedule a deduction in the section that was subject to a reduction of 2% of adjusted gross income. based on tax law changes they are no longer deductible for the years 2018 through 2025 as the law stands now 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies