Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ken84

Is Schedule E or C used to report rental income for Self Storage units and parking spaces?

I have owned one self storage facility for 35 years and have reported the rental income on Schedule E.  This year I am confused as to whether this rental income should be reported on Schedule C or E?  If it is reported on Schedule C is there a Business Tax deduction that I would be entitled to and if so how much would it be.  I am retired and have a room in my house where I keep the records for this rental property which I consider as the Main Office for this rental property.  I keep the records on each tenant, send foreclosure notices and statements to tenants that owe back rent and order and pay for supplies and services for the Storage Facility.  Is Schedule C income reported on my 1040 and is it taxed based on my personal income tax bracket?

Thanks Kenneth W. Carr  Tel. [phone number removed] 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is Schedule E or C used to report rental income for Self Storage units and parking spaces?

schedule c is for rental of personal property - net income from such is subject to self employment taxes .   schedule E is for rental of real property - not subject to e taxes..  no question as to parking space rental, that's real property.      if the self storage units are permanently attached to the land or inside a structure like a public storage facility they would, in my opinion, be real property just like a garage.  if they are free standing and can be moved , then most likely they are personal property.   however, I will point out that the laws in your state govern the classification

regardless of schedule C or E,  for business income, which can include rental,  the qualified business income deduction is available if you meet the tests in the code and regulations of sec 199A

from IRS regulations

SECTION 1. PURPOSE
Section 3 of this revenue procedure provides a safe harbor under which a rental real estate enterprise will be treated as a trade or business for purposes of section 199A of the Internal Revenue Code (Code) and §§ 1.199A-1 through 1.199A-6 of the Income Tax Regulations (26 CFR Part I). The safe harbor provided by this revenue procedure applies solely for purposes of section 199A. If an enterprise fails to satisfy the requirements of this safe harbor, the rental real estate enterprise may still be treated as a trade or business for purposes of section 199A if the enterprise otherwise meets the definition of trade or business in § 1.199A-1(b)(14).

SECTION 3. RULES OF APPLICATION
.01 In general. This safe harbor is available to taxpayers who seek to claim the deduction under section 199A with respect to a rental real estate enterprise. If the safe harbor requirements are met, the real estate enterprise will be treated as a trade or business as defined in section 199A(d) for purposes of applying the regulations under section 199A. Relevant passthrough entities (RPEs) as defined in § 1.199A-1(b)(10) may also use this safe harbor in order to determine whether a rental real estate enterprise is a trade or business as defined in section 199A(d). Failure to satisfy the requirements of this safe harbor does not preclude a taxpayer from otherwise establishing that a rental real estate enterprise is a trade or business for purposes of section 199A.
.02 Rental real estate enterprise. Solely for purposes of this safe harbor, a rental real estate enterprise is defined as an interest in real property held for the production of rents and may consist of an interest in multiple properties. The individual or RPE relying on this revenue procedure must hold the interest directly or through an entity disregarded as an entity separate from its owner under § 301.7701-3. Taxpayers must either treat each property held for the production of rents as a separate enterprise or treat all similar properties held for the production of rents (with the exception of those described in paragraph .05 of this section) as a single enterprise. Commercial and residential real estate may not be part of the same enterprise. Taxpayers may not vary this treatment from year-to-year unless there has been a significant change in facts and circumstances.
.03 Safe harbor. Solely for the purposes of section 199A, a rental real estate enterprise will be treated as a trade or business if the following requirements are satisfied during the taxable year with respect to the rental real estate enterprise:
(A) Separate books and records are maintained to reflect income and expenses for each rental real estate enterprise;
(B) For taxable years beginning prior to January 1, 2023, 250 or more hours of rental services are performed (as described in this revenue procedure) per year with respect to the rental enterprise. For taxable years beginning after December 31, 2022, in any three of the five consecutive taxable years that end with the taxable year (or in each year for an enterprise held for less than five years), 250 or more hours of rental services are performed (as described in this revenue procedure) per year with respect to the rental real estate enterprise; and
(C) The taxpayer maintains contemporaneous records, including time reports, logs, or similar documents, regarding the following: (i) hours of all services performed; (ii) description of all services performed; (iii) dates on which such services were performed; and (iv) who performed the services. Such records are to be made available for inspection at the request of the IRS. The contemporaneous records requirement will not apply to taxable years beginning prior to January 1, 2019.
.04 Rental services. Rental services for purpose of this revenue procedure include: (i) advertising to rent or lease the real estate; (ii) negotiating and executing leases; (iii) verifying information contained in prospective tenant applications; (iv) collection of rent; (v) daily operation, maintenance, and repair of the property; (vi) management of the real estate; (vii) purchase of materials; and (viii) supervision of employees and independent contractors. Rental services may be performed by owners or by employees, agents, and/or independent contractors of the owners. The term rental services does not include financial or investment management activities, such as arranging financing; procuring property; studying and reviewing financial statements or reports on operations; planning, managing, or constructing long-term capital improvements; or hours spent traveling to and from the real estate.
.05 Certain rental real estate arrangements excluded. Real estate used by the taxpayer (including an owner or beneficiary of an RPE relying on this safe harbor) as a residence for any part of the year under section 280A is not eligible for this safe harbor. Real estate rented or leased under a triple net lease is also not eligible for this safe harbor. For purposes of this revenue procedure, a triple net lease includes a lease agreement that requires the tenant or lessee to pay taxes, fees, and insurance, and to be responsible for maintenance activities for a property in addition to rent and utilities. This includes a lease agreement that requires the tenant or lessee to pay a portion of the taxes, fees, and insurance, and to be responsible for maintenance activities allocable to the portion of the property rented by the tenant.
.06 Procedural requirements for application of safe harbor. A taxpayer or RPE must include a statement attached to the return on which it claims the section 199A deduction or passes through section 199A information that the requirements in Section 3.03 of this revenue procedure have been satisfied. The statement must be signed by the taxpayer, or an authorized representative of an eligible taxpayer or RPE, which states: “Under penalties of perjury, I (we) declare that I (we) have examined the statement, and, to the best of my (our) knowledge and belief, the statement contains all the relevant facts relating to the revenue procedure, and such facts are true, correct, and complete.” The individual or individuals who sign must have personal knowledge of the facts and circumstances related to the statement.

Carl
Level 15

The parking spaces are SCH E income. Absolutely no question about that.

If the self-storage units are like PODS (Portable on demand storage) that can be moved and relocated, that's a SCH C business and should have "NEVER" been reported on SCH E.

Otherwise, if the units are physical structures on a peice of land that are not relocatable and are subject to a yearly assessed real property tax, that is SCH E income. Always has been, and always will be.

Srayvon

I will start with this ,im not a tax accountant.

but i am looking for information on why or whether a landlord would rent out  automobile garages as  "STORAGE " which is the wording on my invoice monthly ? What benefits if any does that offer him as a owner and taxpayer?

Rather than labeling invoices the garage as A GARAGE on invoices?  Can he (LEGALY) record the required attached structure to the city as a GARAGE  and report the same structure as STORAGE to the IRS? 

The choice of the word garage or storage  is the same thing in this context ... it was just the word they choose to use. 

Tax Cloud

Parking space are not always Sch E income. Could be a self-employment income......

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies